Reality vs Illusion

How to Determine the Right Direction in Life?

Photo by Honey Yanibel Minaya Cruz on Unsplash

I  came across a video on Ali Abdaal’s youtube channel in which he talked about three ways to determine the direction in life.

1.The Graveyard Technique
2.The Odyssey Plan
3.The Ideal Ordinary Week


Let’s discuss them in detail;-


The Graveyard Technique
In this technique, you have to imagine your death. Now think about what would you want to be written on your gravestone about yourselves. For example, I would like to be remembered as a great teacher and a spiritually awakened man who made this world a better place. I want to live a life of service. 

Having imagined the engravings on my gravestone, I can compare it to my present life to see if I am heading in the right direction. If that is not the case, I must change the course of my life. 

 You will indeed find a long term direction for your life if you can answer this technique.

The Odyssey Plan
The Odyssey Plan helps you decide the next five years of your life. You can ask yourself where will I reach If I keep doing what I generally do. You may have a backup plan in your mind, try following it in your imagination and see where it leads you. You might have a skill that you can develop into a business model and earn money from it. Think about it. 

It’s like you are standing at the crossroads. There may be four or more roads at the intersection (depends on the person). You have the power to envisage the difficulties along the path. It is your choice to settle for the best Road because “The Road not Taken” pricks a lot. They all have different benefits and challenges. So choose wisely.

The Ideal Ordinary Week
In this technique, we ascertain the quality of life to our liking concerning weekdays. In simple words, it is about visualizing a typical workday, two years or five years from now. I want my average work time to be short to focus on other interests and hobbies and spend quality time at home. Being a teacher satisfies not only this condition but also the long-term goals of living a fulfilling life with plenty of opportunities to serve society. 

Ask yourself how would your typical workday look like if you do not make any changes in your present life. If you don’t like what you have imagined. It is time to take a different route, or the Stations won’t be pleasing. 

Have a Directioned Life!, Peeps. Until next time.


Comments

  1. Sometimes we need exactly something like this right now.
    Thanks and keep writing .👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it, Kate. Pleasure is all mine.

      Delete
  2. I don't understand what I want cause I want everything that I want, am I greedy or what ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody gets everything in Life. Our Life is like a sacrificial fire. We must pay the price before we can deserve anything of value. So it is more about choices and prioritizing things. Sometimes, the price we need to pay requires us to give up one dream for another. After all, we live in a polarized world.

      About the second question, you must ask yourselves. By the way, it is a good topic for my next blog. So, stay tuned.
      If you have any more questions, you know where to find me.

      Delete

Post a Comment